Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The New Super Mom?



Here I am about a half hour before my son's fifth birthday party (and no my house never looks this clean on a daily basis). Jumpy house was up and we were expecting about 40 guests. I'm washing fruit while Gentimycin drips into my arm via my PICC. I had also just taken a Vicodin because the Gentimycin gave me debilitating headaches and I couldn't take NSAIDs while on it.

I had also taken Ginseng and my daily low dose steroid to give me energy to get through the day, not to mention all the other oral antibiotics, natural anti-inflammatories, homeopathic tinctures, and vitamins that are part of daily regimen that keep me functioning.

I'm reminded of Alix's Ginger Rogers post about how she did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels. That's about how if I feel sometimes if I compare myself to others. It takes a lot of pharmaceuticals and a Coke (I'm off caffeine and sugar so this is a real treat and buzz) to get me through a party. And it took me nearly a week to recover. But I did it. Not sure if that makes me crazy or the new breed of super-mom.

6 comments:

Heather said...

You are awesome! The recovery is so hard after these events, but I keep telling myself - this is my life, this is my family's story and I Will Not let this disease steal it all.
Thank you for sharing this - I'm going to come look at this pic for encouragement as I head into our busy season of events this fall!

Kim said...

Right on, Heather. That's exactly the right spirit. Thanks for stopping by and saying that.

PJ said...

This definitely makes your a super-mom is my book!

june said...

You've always been a super mom to me. For reals. So now, you are a super-super mom! :)

Dianne said...

Super mom! And, you threw a fantastic party!

Kim said...

Awww...Thanks June and Dianne.