Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Gerson Therapy Works for Lyme Patients!

Charlotte Gerson, the 88 years young daughter of Max Gerson minces no words. Peppy and unequivocal, she delivered a startling talk at the Natural News Healing Miracles event last weekend. Afterward she met with attendees and jauntily demonstrated how she could still touch her toes with no problem.

I'd known about the Gerson Institute's natural cancer cure for years and was almost star-struck to meet a woman whose clinic can cure cancer in 30-40% of terminal cancer patients. That is, cancer patients whose bodies have been so ravaged by surgery and chemotherapy that medicine can no longer help them. Many can be brought back to life naturally, through their intensive juicing and detox program. The Gerson Institute's cure rates are even higher in those who have never had conventional cancer therapies, since the immune system is in much better shape.

Before the event, I became increasingly intrigued when I heard Mike Adams of Natural News interview Charlotte Gerson. She stated that the Gerson Therapy, pioneered by her father in the 1930s, was "even helping Lyme patients." Wow, even helping Lyme patients? Did she imply that Lyme was harder to cure than cancer? How much is it helping Lyme patients? How long does it take to get results? Is it the same therapy used in cancer? I was dying to ask her my questions.

After her rousing talk I had my chance to ask her some questions, but due to her popularity, I didn't get all of them answered. First off, she said that she is limited to the Gerson Therapy, but she "has helped people." I took this to mean that Gerson Therapy must be complemented by other therapies, presumably antibiotics, whether herbal or pharmaceutical. She turned the tables on my question-asking and told me Lyme patients have to be careful of fluoride's effects on the thyroid and that we should not be showering in fluoride nor drinking it. I asked if my reverse osmosis filter was doing the trick for our drinking water, and I got a loud, "NO!" When I said I didn't know that, she said, "Well, WHO would KNOW?" She is a character! Then, off she went with another attendee bursting with their own questions.

Gerson Therapy sounds like a treatment worth investigating by any Lyme patient. She said that in cancer, the two main problems are deficiency (vitamins and immune system) and toxicity. This is true in Lyme as well, but we have the added job of killing the bugs, too.

Alix also writes for Med Nauseam, recently voted #1 General Medicine Blog in the WellSphere Community, and for nationally-syndicated Silicon Valley Moms Blog.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Question: How does she recommend NOT showering in fluoridated water?

what particular kind of filter would do that, if any?

Also, I drink bottled water (mostly) with electrolytes(b/c I have to) --

but I use filtered water sometimes because I can't afford to use Bottled exclusively.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Alix said...

Well, that is a good question. I forgot to write this part, but she suggested a sponge bath with non-fluoridated water. She said that to emphasize how strongly she felt about this point. I need to look into the connection more. She said the answer was in her book... which I have and am reading right now.

Kim said...

Thanks Alix! You rock!

Okay...so we need some investigation on what kind of water Lymies should be drinking and bathing in. I wonder if we can get all the LLMDs and other Lyme experts to weigh in? Filtered or bottled and are we concerned about the plastics in bottled? If filtered, what kind of filter. If bottled, what kind? Spring?

I also know there's these shower heads you can add to your shower to filter stuff. But not sure what to buy and what exactly it filters out. Maybe we should see what Better Health Guy knows. And...if he knows anything...would he consider a guest post?

Kim said...

Uh..and sorry. Sponge bath is not an option.

Carla B said...

alix, what kind of a water filter do you use? Julie Matthews and I just bought one that we're pretty happy about. It's an under-the-sink model for the kitchen. Now I need to figure out what to do with the shower.

Alix said...

Carla,

Great to know you are a reader! I have an under-sink RO filter but we don't filter our shower water because we have chloramine which can't be removed by carbon filter and the whole house RO or distillation is an expense my husband and I cannot agree on!

One tip is that for bathing, 1 gram of Vitamin C per standard bathtub will neutralize the chloramine and ammonia. Possibly chlorine, too, but I'd have to look that up.

Kim said...

Carla...would love to know what filter you bought...

Anonymous said...

I don't have a bathtub. There is only so much a person can do, unfortunately. Physically and financially for that matter. As someone said recently 'lyme disease is a disease for the rich'.
And it can make someone marginally well-off, poor quite quickly.

Alix said...

I agree this disease is crazy expensive. horrible.

Carla B said...

Kim, i bought this one: http://consciouslivingsystems.com/undercounter_systems
the man who runs this company, Lono, is absolutely terrific, incredibly knowledgeable and an inventor himself. He says that RO actually concentrates the chloramine. I have to follow up with him on a whole house solution. though, i think that will be beyond my budget. Thanks for the tip on the Vit C, Alix! I don't have lyme disease but I tune in to your blog occasionally because I'm always interested in what you are talking about/researching.

Alix said...

Thanks for tuning in Carla. I noticed you aren't actively posting on Local Forage anymore. are you posting elsewhere or doing other stuff now?

I looked at the photos and descriptions of your water filter and it looks exactly like the one we have, down to the exact same replacement cartridges. I wish I knew which one we had. maybe it does remove fluoride...?

rakarlo said...

Cured my Lyme disease with a live aloe vera drink that I still make occassionally. Take a large aloe stalk and harvest gel as demonstrated by Mike Adams - add this plus tbls of spirulina to live juice consisting of celery, carrots, beet, cabbage, kale, apple/pineapple or similar combo to taste - I also add 3 or 4 drops of oceans alive marine phytoplankton(optional) I Breville the juice - pour 1/2 off and shoot the aloe, spirulina & OA with a bullet blender. Blend all back together and enjoy - Good Luck

Alix said...

What a novel approach to treating Lyme. How often did you drink this and what did you eat while doing this protocol? How long did it take you to feel better? Are your labs negative and CD57 above 200? Please let us know more!!

rakarlo said...

Not novel and certainly not new - you might call it Gerson on steroids, since she endorses a similar protocol - a raw organic juice flushing to detox the body. In fact, I believe she advocates drinking as many as eight servings per/day which would equate to several pounds of organic produce vs my AM and PM 16oz serving of this beautifully synergetic concoction of thick dark purple raw juices and super foods that I simply refer to as my Aloe-Spira Bloody Mary.(failed to mention the garlic glove, shot of cayenne & sea salt added . . too bad, no booze, of course ) The terrifying rash across my upper chest area slowly faded away over a period of about 3 weeks. Sorry I have no lab numbers or scientific backed evidence of my diagnosis for your followers, but my point is this: It is my belief that most western docs fail to seriously address the bacterial side of this illness - how to actually attack the spirochete instead of merely treating symptoms - which they are adeptly trained to do in medical school. (nothing wrong w/ a little professional sustainability, right?) No, I am certainly not a doctor - and like Mr. Adams, I chose not to even set foot inside a western medical clinic. My knowledge and interest is in medicinal herbs and spiritual healing . . . all bets fly out the window when I run into someone who absolutely refuses to understand the basics of health
transformation - starting with the dietary shift necessary to arrive at a more alkaline ph followed by a colon and liver cleanse and a solemn declaration of no more meat, dairy, processed, anything white, in a box, etc, etc, in short most anything not located in the fresh produce section - 2 points for going all organic. Lots of other factors like finding a pure spring water source, sunlight, execise, and of course my favorite . . simple spiritual responsibility for being on this beautiful planet.(it is, after all, OUR responsibility to restore it to be beautiful again)
I would urge your followers to review Mike Adam's wonderful research article about the wide range of healing qualities in the living aloe vera plant seen here:
http://www.naturalnews.com/021858.html The durable aloe plant as being one of the most assessable (mainstay in my garden) and most impressive medicinal herb that just so happens to be antibacterial, antifungal, AND does a terific job of halting inflammation. I hope this plants a seed of hope for some of your followers. Sorry for invading your blog space. Off blog e-mail me direct . . . Rick at rakarlo@hotmail.com
Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya

Anonymous said...

Yeah, don't shower in fluoridated water and make sure no dust particles settle in it either.

Anonymous said...

Alix- Did you ever follow up on getting more information on the gerson therapy on the treatment of autoimmine, lyme, neurolyme and other neuro disease? I'm curious on that. Great documentary on youtube on the gerson therapy. One MS case is mentioned. "dying to have know" is the title of the documentary.

paul said...

It's nice to know that this therapy works for Lyme patients. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Supplements Canada