Monday, March 30, 2009

It just gets scarier

"Two weeks ago, I was so ill with Lyme, that I thought I was going to die. I was getting neurological symptoms, my right leg was caving in, and my mind would not work. I called the following hospitals; Stanford Hospital, Mayo Clinic, University of California-San Francisco, not a one of these top institutions would take me as a Lyme patient. I start to get an inkling what is must have been like at the beginning of the AIDS epidemic."

--Michealene Cristini Risley, in today's article from The Huffington Post.

4 comments:

Karen aka btrflynana said...

It is really sad that our major hospitals are so ignorant...Something has to change...how many will perish or be left disabled because they were treated incorrectly? I have gone in to ER prior to being dx with Lyme because my symptoms were so severe they thought I was having a stroke!! These bugs in our bodies are terrible! Hang in there and keep fighting the fight...We are going to be the victors in the end!!

Monkey Girl said...

I completely agree with that statement. I can only hope years from now, we'll be seen as the lyme patients who led the way...and hopefully survived.

We will survive this.

Carol E. said...

My great-grandfather died of strep 2 weeks before the introduction of penicillin. My brother died of AIDS 1 month before anti-retrovirals became available. My mother died of Progressive Supra-Nuclear Palsy (PSP; Dudley Moore died of it). I am now wondering if PSP is just another stage/symptom of Lyme.

And I'm hoping I beat the family trend and manage to recover from Lyme before I'm killed by it -- yet another under-researched, under-funded, under-treated disease.

Glad to find your blog.

Carol E.

shanta said...

insurance for safety
more info....

car insurance quotes